About the Office of the Fire Marshal
The Yale Fire Marshal is charged with inspecting, testing, and maintaining the fire safety systems in place for all Yale academic, administrative, residential, and University lease properties. The Fire Marshal’s office conducts fire safety awareness programs, regular inspections, and fire drills in all buildings.
When to Contact the Office of the Fire Marshal
- Questions about inspecting, testing, and maintaining fire protection systems.
- Fire/hazard risk assessment, and creation of emergency evacuation plans.
- Conducting plan reviews for capital and renovation projects at the University including the Yale School of Medicine.
- Requesting a “Hot Work” permit.
- Event/dance/gathering/assembly inspections.
For emergencies on campus, you should dial 911 from any phone.
Dialing 911 from any phone on campus will now connect you to the Yale Police. It is not necessary to dial “9” for an outside line first – just 911.
The following links are provided if you would like more information on fire safety and fire related issues. Links provided are to state and federal agencies and organizations, and to private resources.