About the Office of the Fire Marshal
The Yale Fire Marshal is charged with inspecting, testing, and maintaining the fire safety systems in place for all Yale academic, administrative, residential, and University lease properties. Representatives from the Office of the Fire Marshal conduct fire safety awareness programs, regular inspections, and fire drills in all Yale buildings.
When to Contact the Office of the Fire Marshal
- Questions about inspecting, testing, and maintaining fire protection systems.
- Fire and hazard risk assessment, and creation of emergency evacuation plans.
- Conducting plan reviews for capital and renovation projects at the University, including the Yale School of Medicine.
- Requesting a “Hot Work” permit.
- Event, dance, gathering, and assembly inspections.
For emergencies on campus, you should dial 911 from any phone.
Dialing 911 from any phone on campus will now connect you to the Yale Police Department. It is not necessary to dial “9” for an outside line first, only 911.
The following links are provided if you would like more information on fire safety and fire related issues. Links provided are to state and federal agencies and organizations, and to private resources.
- National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA)
- Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection: Commission on Fire Prevention and Control
- National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
- U.S. Fire Administration (USFA)